Work at Red-Fern Media
Senior WordPress Developer
At our Red-Fern Burnley HQ, we’re looking for a senior WordPress developer, your primary role will be to successfully transform approved designs and prototypes into functioning, interactive, engaging, pixel-perfect websites or web applications for our clients. As a senior WordPress developer, you will be responsible for implementing and customizing WordPress themes, plugins, and functionality. The ideal candidate should have a deep understanding of the core functionality of WordPress, including the template hierarchy, actions/filters, and key plugins such as ACF, WooCommerce, and Yoast.
As a key member of the development team, you’ll work on a variety of digital projects for our clients. You’ll build mobile-first, interactive, cross-browser compatible, high-performing websites in WordPress, as well as collaborating with our in-house team of designers to help ensure design concepts are in line with technology and budget limitations, allowing for smooth project delivery.
You’ll work collaboratively in an experienced, highly capable team of developers who all push each other to be the best at what they do. You’re passionate about digital technologies, as well as wanting to to continuously strive to improve your craft and push the boundaries of technology.
We’ll make sure you’re kept up-to-date with the latest technologies and allow you the flexibility to explore and develop your skills in wider areas of development through training, mentoring, pair programming, and code reviews. As an example, our Technical Director is creating a programme which will allow members of our development team to learn webGL, allowing them to develop immersive 3D websites (so you’ll be working on some pretty exciting projects).
- Competitive salary, depending on experience, with yearly review
- Full-time permanent position
- Hybrid working: we have a hybrid working policy of 2 days a week in the office and 3 days remote. We find this helps with collaborative working
- Flexible working hours: we have core working hours where you can choose your start and finish times to suit your personal schedule
- 28 days holiday (inc. bank holidays)
- Additional birthday holiday
- Pension scheme
- Budget and time flexibility to allow you to develop your skills further with training, personal development, and certifications
- Regular meetings about company culture
- Annual social budget that is used for team events
- Proficient in HTML/CSS
- Proficient in using browser development tools
- Understand popular WordPress plugins such as ACF and Woocommerce
- Understand the WordPress template hierarchy
- Understand WordPress Actions/Filters
- Ability to develop custom WordPress plugins
- Have commercial experience of building websites and web applications
- Have attention to detail and strive for perfection
- Have awareness of web fundamentals, such as performance, semantics and web accessibility
- Have experience in CSS frameworks, in particular Tailwind CSS
- React experience and Gutenberg blocks
- Build ACF Blocks
- Understand Bedrock/Composer
- Understand Nav Walkers
- Collaborate with designers and stakeholders to understand project requirements and translate them into functional WordPress websites.
- Implement and customize WordPress themes using best practices, ensuring a seamless user experience and adherence to design specifications.
- Develop and maintain WordPress plugins, including the ability to create custom Gutenberg blocks and ACF fields.
- Optimize websites for performance, security, and search engine optimization (SEO) using appropriate techniques and plugins.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues related to WordPress websites, themes, plugins, and integrations.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest WordPress trends, plugins, and tools, and recommend improvements and optimizations to enhance website development processes.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including designers, developers, and content creators, to ensure successful project delivery.
- Strong proficiency in WordPress development, including a deep understanding of the template hierarchy, actions/filters, and key plugins like ACF, WooCommerce, and Yoast.
- Solid experience in implementing and customizing WordPress themes using HTML, CSS, and PHP.
- Ability to work with design files from Figma and translate them into fully functional websites.
- Experience in building custom WordPress plugins to cater to clients' specific requirements is a significant plus.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and techniques to optimize WordPress websites for search engines.
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills with a keen attention to detail.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize tasks effectively.
- A strong portfolio showcasing previous WordPress development projects would be highly advantageous.
While we are looking to hire the most talented experts in the industry, we see culture fit as one of the most important factors when searching for new talent. With that said, we’d also be keen to meet candidates who have the development fundamentals perfected and is someone with the passion and drive to improve your skills in any areas mentioned above.
If you are a talented WordPress Developer who thrives in a dynamic and collaborative environment, with a passion for delivering exceptional websites, we would love to hear from you, send your CV, covering letter and examples of existing work to
No recruitment agencies: Any unsolicited CVs will be sent at the recruitment agency’s own risk and will be interpreted as ‘gifts’ and we have no liability to you for any fee or otherwise. We reserve the right to engage with candidates directly having not, in any way, entered into your terms and conditions. By submitting an unsolicited CV to us, or to any member of our staff, you accept these terms as the default position