How are you positively contributing to the environment? Are you on the road to becoming a carbon-neutral business? We are! And we're so excited.
If you didn't see our previous post (where have you been?), we revealed our partnership with Ecologi. We believe in collective action and we've joined the movement to make positive actions to climate projects across the globe.
We're so impressed with the projects we've contributed towards in the space of 3 months. We couldn't miss the opportunity to share more and brag a little too. So let’s dive straight into it and give you a rundown on our funding projects.
- RECAP: Why we’re partnering with Ecologi
- Producing electricity in Northeast Thailand
- Wind power generation in Bac Lieu Province
- Preserving the Amazonian rainforest
RECAP: Why we’re partnering with Ecologi
We care about our collective home and, if we don't make a positive change now, it might be too late. Preserving planet Earth and reducing our carbon footprint will ensure our collective home isn't turned upside down.
However, Earth cannot save itself. Together, we can prevent the worst from happening. Making small changes every day is great! But we wanted to do more than that.
Every single month, Ecologi puts our money to good use by supporting a range of carbon reduction projects. As well as contributing towards the global projects, they also plant trees globally. Meaning, from a click of a button, you're making an impact, without even moving from your desk! This is impressive and rewarding.
We get updates in our inbox, we can set eco goals, and we can view our progress to becoming a carbon-neutral business on our Ecologi profile. We've just begun and we can't wait to see where this takes us.
Imagine if we ALL supported the correct climate solutions, it’d be successful enough to undo 30 years of carbon damage by avoiding 1,500 BILLION tonnes of CO2. We couldn't resist, we're totally on board with that!
Producing electricity in Northeast Thailand
This project is verified by the Gold Standard.
So, let's begin with having a brief look at producing electricity from wind power in Northeast Thailand.
- Previously, Thailand's energy was generated by burning fossil fuels.
- To reduce greenhouse gas emissions, Thailand is working hard to use more renewable sources, including wind power.
- An urgent increase in energy is required, as the demand will increase by 76% by 2036.
- In 2018, around 10% of Thailand’s energy (45,000MW) was generated from renewable sources - amazing!
- The wind power sector will create 5,000 to 10,000 jobs by 2050.
Thailand is working hard to make a positive impact, globally and locally. Its wind power projects will create incredible outcomes as well as create thousands of jobs for individuals across Thailand.
The wind power projects we've contributed towards cover two bundles - West Huaybong 2 and West Huaybong 3 wind farms. Together, they generate over 500,000 MWh of electricity EVERY year and feed it into Thailand’s national grid.
The two wind farms will prevent 250,000 tonnes of CO2 from being emitted into the atmosphere every year and in these projects alone, 80 local jobs have been made available.
Our funding contributions, as a business, have helped reduce 12.98T of CO2 so far. Not only is this rewarding to see but it keeps us inspired and motivated for the future. What a great feeling and what an incredible development to be a part of.
Wind power generation in Bac Lieu Province
This project is verified by the Gold Standard.
- The demand for electricity in Vietnam is rapidly growing and has increased by 10% over the past five years.
- This demand has outstripped supply in many areas and created power shortages.
- Droughts, heavy rains, and earthquakes can make it challenging to generate energy.
- By 2030, Vietnam aims to be producing 30GW of electricity annually from wind power. This should help prevent energy shortages in the future.
Another wind power project and another incredible opportunity to be a part of! This project aims to generate 320,000 MWh of renewable electricity every single year. It will feed into Vietnam's national grid and help supply chains as the demand increases.
This project will replace fossil fuel-fired power plants and utilise wind power instead. On completion, this project will prevent 143,000 tonnes of CO2 from being emitted into the atmosphere every year.
Already, this project has opened jobs up for 100 people and supports the local community. This project has also enabled Vietnam to plant over 24,800 trees to promote regional biodiversity. Not only is this impressive, but it’s admirable too!
Our monthly contributions at Red-Fern have reduced 3.58T CO2. We're so pleased to be a part of this project and help Vietnam increase its renewable energy capacity.
Preserving the Amazonian rainforest
This project is verified by the Verified Carbon Standard.
- Rainforests are known as 'the lungs of the world' and a third of the world’s primary tropical rainforest is in Brazil.
- A new species is discovered every three days.
- The rainforest is home to 10% of terrestrial species.
- ONE million indigenous people call the Amazon rainforest their home, so preserving it is vital.
- 20% of the Brazilian Amazon rainforest was lost between 1975 and 2018 because of agriculture, oil and gas production, mining, logging, and infrastructure.
- The rate of deforestation has increased over the past three years and rapid changes need to be made.
The objective of this project is to avoid emissions in Para State in Brazil. The aim is to preserve 27,434.9 hectares of native forest previously designated for deforestation.
A total of 9.4 million tonnes of emissions will be avoided over the next 10 years. This will positively impact the wellbeing of workers around the surrounding areas too.
At Red-Fern, our contributions have reduced 10.2T CO2 emissions in this development. We're proud to contribute towards preserving the beauty of this home for many.
We hope that giving you a rundown of the projects we’ve contributed to will inspire your initiatives in your business. It’s a rewarding feeling knowing that our money is being put to good use across the globe, with the help of Ecologi. This is the beginning of great things!